Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Book Review: I Can Learn the Bible

I Can Learn the Bible by Holly Hawkins Shivers is a weekly Scripture memorization devotional.  She adapts, O.S. Hawkins' (her father) The Joshua Code, to serve as a guide in assisting parents in helping their children develop a passion for the word of God.

It is so very important for children to be equipped with the Word of God in which they can stand firm against the attacks of Satan and the offers of this world. I believe this is an important tool to assist and equip young minds with the Sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God.

This is a sturdy hardcover book measuring approximately 8x6.  It fits very comfortably in my 5 year old hands.  The writing and the language used is appropriate for the targeted readers in the age range of 4 through 8 year old.  The illustrations, while not overly cartoonish, are delightful and engaging.

I did not deem it necessary to write about superheroes as the author did in week 18.  Although, I do understand how she might want to relate to children and their parents on a broader level….it should be kept biblical and leave the fantasy out of Christian literature.  

In spite of the aforementioned, I would recommend this book to parents looking for supplemental material for Bible memorization for their children.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I feel blessed that you took time to stop by and read all that the Lord has put in my heart to share.

May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you :)