Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Book Review: When To Speak Up & When To Shut Up

I was very much intrigued when I read the blurb on this book.

It reads,

~ The cost and purpose of silence
~ Why to check motives when talking to friends, family and authorities
~ Ways to deal with anger and resentment
~ How to overcome pressure and remain silent

This book provides great personal real-life experiences from the author that many readers could relate to.  He includes biblical references to highlight issues of complaining, questioning and being persistent.

I also appreciated the thought provoking questions listed throughout the book.  The questions caused me to examine my heart and motives when choosing to remain silent and even when I decide to speak up.

I have to admit I am not very fond of the title of the book.  The "shut up" in the title is worded a bit harsh for my liking.  In spite of the title, I was drawn in and did appreciate the content and it certainly enlightened me.  The Bible clearly states that we must be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.  This is the theme translated throughout the entire book.

The author touches on a very important issue in a chapter called, "A Question to Authority".  In this chapter He shares that if someone has a questioning attitude with spiritual authorities that also creates a barrier between the person and God.  The danger lies in that the person can set themselves to be an authority.

We should speak with caution and not in a confrontational form of communication but rather encourage communication by helping one another to find a way to speak their thoughts.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my review from 
Chosen Books! & Bethany House

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

I feel blessed that you took time to stop by and read all that the Lord has put in my heart to share.

May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you :)