Thursday, November 11, 2010

Breaking Free: A View From the New





For though we live in the world, we do not
wage war as the world does.
The weapons we fight with are not the
weapons of the world.
On the contrary, they have divine power
to demolish strongholds.
We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up
against the knowledge of God, and we take captive
every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

2 Corinthians 10: 3-5

The previous chapter I studied about the steadfast mind from the perspective of the Old Testament. This chapter I compared it from the viewpoint of the New Testament.

Satan wants to get us to a place of where we are doubting the power that is in knowing and believing God's Word. In 2 Corinthians 10:4b-5, the scriptures read that, "We demolish arguments and every high minded thing that is raised up against the knowledge of God, taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ." Arguments will rise that try and make us question God's promises to us, question our identity in Christ, however if we are saturated with the wealth of God's Word we can refute all lies and fiery darts from the enemy and remain focused and in communion with the Lord.

How do we take our thoughts captive to the obedience of Christ?

With the Word...the BIBLE!
When the enemy tries to attack my identity, I refute him by telling him that I have been created in the image and likeness of God (Genesis 1:26), a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for His possession (1 Peter:9). When the enemy tries to attack my finances, I declare, "I have not seen the righteous abandoned or his children begging bread." (Psalm 37:25).

I re-enforce the importance of studying God's Word to my daughter. I tell her that she must be equipped with God's Word to be able to fight the war that the enemy is trying to wage and he has declared the battlefield her mind. I thank the Lord, that my teen truly loves HIS Word and studies the Bible. There are times when I see that she is in her room studying the Word and that confirms to me that she is also aware of the war brewing against the believer.

Beth shares this in her book:

1. Every stronghold is related to something that we have exalted to a higher position than God in our lives.
2. Every stronghold pretends to bring something we feel we must have aid, comfort, the relief of stress, or protection.
3. Every stronghold in the life of a believer is a tremendous source of pride for the enemy. Let that make you mad and determine to stop giving him satisfaction.

The enemy will stir up pride in us in order to keep strongholds from being broken. The sacrifice pleasing to God is a broken spirit. God will not despise a broken and humble heart. Humility is necessary for strongholds to be broken. Pride is a barrier for freedom to be realized.

Hosea 11:4a says of God, "I lead them with human cords, with ropes of kindness. To them I was like one who eases the yoke from their jaws,"

Satan also desires to lead us. He wants to lead us to disobedience and to perdition. However, my focus has to be on God. My eyes have to be fixed on HIM. When my eyes have focused themselves on anything that is not from the Lord I have lost my way. I thank HIM because His Word is a lamp to my feet and guides me to all TRUTH when I have wandered from the path.


Though the fig tree does not bud
and there is no fruit on the vines,
tough the olive crop fails
and the filed produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will triumph in the Lord;
I will rejoice in the God of my salvation!
Yahweh my Lord is my strength;
He makes my feet like those of a deer
and enables me to walk on mountains heights!

Habakkuk 3:18-19



9 comments:

  1. Amen...what a way to start my day. I woke to the Lord saying put on the armor of God and this confirms that and continues what He was telling me.
    When my boys were little I would dress them with a play sword and shield...then I would let them play fight as they spoke out scripture with hitting at the others shield.
    I don't know how much they remember, but I pray that each of those verses have taken root in their hearts.
    Thanks for taking the time to post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy, Sydney, I can see you are a true soldier declaring truths that come with a price. Onward Christian soldier!!!!

    Thank you for sharing. Yes, only one way to resist the enemy--THE WORD OF GOD. We don't fight flesh, we fight principalities of the unseen world. Use your sword in the spirit, but for people use the towel of a servant. I think that's what you do already so I'm just agreeing.

    Love, love, love your page. As an intercessor, it brings me divine opportunities for prayer. ;) Love and blessings sis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN! What a great word today!
    We have battles to fight but
    Christ is our victory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always, you post such powerful truths Sydney...

    This guy is starting to be a pest. He means well (I think) but misinformed. When you follow (and speak/write) the Word in Spirit and Truth, there will always arise spiritual conflict. As is the case happening here.

    I think of the verse in Galatians that says, "Oh foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you?"

    Galatians 3, the whole chapter is powerfully relevant here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Lord Jesus himself used the word when challenged by Satan; He is the perfect example to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My desire is that Michael find the TRUTH and Jesus is TRUTH!

    I, too was blind once to the revelation of Jesus and He extended His mercy to me and the scales have fallen.

    As I am coming to end of this book, Holy Spirit is dealing with me in total surrender and obedience. I so want to please my Lord and Savior and make it to stand in HIS presence.

    May you all be blessed in HIM as we start another week in HIM. May His peace be with you all.

    David, thank you for stopping by and commenting.
    The sword of the Spirit, His Word is indeed our defense against the lies of satan. Thank you, Lord!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen to your last comment, Sydney. My desire is exactly the same as yours--that all may find TRUTH and let it begin by me because the more I know Him and all the fullness of Him, the more I realize I only see in part and it is by His mercy and His mercy alone that we are given such a privilege to see. Praying. Love and blessings your way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blessings Sydney...

    Wonderful powerful post!

    I'm sorry that you were attacked the same as I was by this individual. However, maybe you chose the better route...to delete. I left it and responded.

    Anyways, One Heart told me about this but though I came for that reason to see how you dealt with it and her responses, I was SO delighted to see that you are doing the BREAKING FREE
    study and diligently pressed through all year...that is my plan for 2011!

    I was just wondering if you did this on your own or with the Bible Cafe for Women...cuz I noticed that you had ...the questions in other posts?

    Taking my mind captive to God's Word today. I am doing the current study at the Bible Cafe for Women on "The Invisible War" by Chip Ingram...on Spiritual Warfare!

    Press on and break free Sydney! Great job! Continue to use Your Sword well and defend the Truth of God!

    Peace and love,
    Peggy
    the post that I had attacked was "Forgiven", I wonder if someone is searching and seeking forgiveness?

    ReplyDelete

I feel blessed that you took time to stop by and read all that the Lord has put in my heart to share.

May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you :)