Monday, September 27, 2010

Love is not a Fight...

But it's something worth fighting for. These are the lyrics to a song that has ministered my heart in more ways than one.

This song was featured in the movie "Fireproof". I praise the Lord that my marriage has not endured the hardships depicted in the movie. It is not to say we haven't had our share of trying times and definitely not from any outside influences but rather our unwillingness to back down and surrender to God's Word concerning love.

Pride and past hurts had become the third persons in our marriage. They didn't allow us to see the blessing we have in each other. There is a line in the song that says, "If we try to leave may God send angels to guard the door" and I am so thankful that God did just that. He has always intervened. Through His amazing love, we were able to recognize that we were not only hurting each other but more importantly that we were grieving Holy Spirit with our actions and attitudes. This revelation gave us a new perspective on the sanctity of our marriage. We have learned to be proactive in seeking counseling and prayer for our marriage letting God know that we are willing to give our all for our marriage to be pure and holy in His sight.

His mercy has allowed us to overcome so many hurdles in our marriage and our marriage is definitely worth fighting for!

I invite you to take a few minutes and listen allowing Holy Spirit to minister your heart. Please know that there is hope for marriages to be restored in Jesus Christ. He alone can breathe life into a marriage that seems to be dying.

Only He can send those angels to guard the door!


Love is not a place
To come and go as we please
It's a house we enter in
Then commit to never leave

So lock the door behind you
Throw away the key
We'll work it out together
Let it bring us to our knees

Love is a shelter in a raging storm
Love is peace in the middle of a war
And if we try to leave, may God send angels to guard the door
No, love is not a fight but it's something worth fighting for

To some, love is a word
That they can fall into
But when they're falling out
Keeping that word is hard to do

Love will come to save us
If we only call
He will ask nothing from us
But demand we give our all

I will fight for you
Would you fight for me?
It's worth fighting for

Warren Barfield - Love is Not a Fight

If you have not seen the movie "Fireproof" I highly recommend you purchase a copy for yourself. It has been such a blessing to my marriage and of those around me who have seen the movie and testified on how this movie ministered to each of them. My sister even gifted this movie to a couple who does not serve the Lord and they enjoyed the movie and in the name of Jesus we have declared their lives, family and marriages for Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. Sydney, every time you post, the Lord dishes up such nutrious morsels of His Living Bread through your words.

    I can't believe you posted about Fireproof and marriages! Why? Well, I have only just seen this movie a week ago, and so it is fresh in my mind. I think I am the last person on the planet to see it lol! I must admit, I was sceptical that it would be any good, but I was pleasantly surprised (forever the cynical one I am lol). I loved the movie actually, and cried with joy at the end of it...

    What you wrote is true of my marriage also. No unfaithfulness as such, just stubbornness and pride but like you, I thank the Lord that He is bringing us through more and more as time goes by.

    I believe He gives us the husbands we have because marriages push buttons that no one else can. And that is good because if a button of ours is pushed it means we are not dead to self in that area... and we need to be if we are going to be more Christ-like. The key is to love the other more than yourself (meaning me), and laying down our lives... and accepting really, that we have no rights except to love HIm and do good, in His name.

    Great post Syndey... I could go on and on, but you have nailed it beautifully. I enjoy hearing your thoughts on such topics. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was saved, I am saved and I am being saved. Yes, but only GOD knows who they are.

    ReplyDelete

I feel blessed that you took time to stop by and read all that the Lord has put in my heart to share.

May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you :)