Thursday, September 23, 2010

Breaking Free: The Freedom of Unfailing Love

Others sat in darkness and gloom-
prisoners in cruel chains-
because the rebelled against God's command
and despised the counsel of the Most High.

He broke their spirits with hard labor;
they stumbled, and there was no one to help.
Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble;
He saved them from their distress.
He brought them out of darkness and gloom
and broke their chains apart.
~ Psalm 107: 10-14

Can you see His unfailing love in the above verses?

There was a time in my walk with God that I took His discipline as His way of not giving my hurting heart another glance. I have since learned to see that His discipline is out of pure love.

Beth makes such a valid point that spoke to my heart. "His unfailing love also appears in His unwillingness to allow rebellion to go unnoticed and undisciplined.". Thank you Jesus that you have not allowed my rebellion to go unnoticed.

I am so grateful for the leaders in my church. In the past, I dreaded when an elder in the church would come up to me and tell me, "Sister, my spirit is telling me that there are things that are not right with you." God would give them specifics and I immediately would feel hurt that the Lord would out me out like that. Why wouldn't He tell me directly? Many times He did alert me to my behavior but I would choose to turn a deaf ear. Thank you Lord that You love me too much to allow things to remain the same.

Beth gives two points from the Psalm to encourage us toward our goal of truly understanding His unfailing love for us:

1. God's unfailing love extends to the most rebellious captives and most afflicted fools.
2. God strives with His captive children until they are free.

There is hope in our Lord.

Why do you think we have such a difficult time believing that God really loves us?

We tend to attempt to humanize God and His unconditional love for us. Without Christ we try to go above and beyond our means to evoke love and acceptance from others. Most of the time if not all of the time those actions go unnoticed so that we can realize that the void in us is one that only Jesus' love for us can fill. God's love cannot be compared to our human understanding of love. Our simple human mental capacity cannot fathom the extent of God's love for frail humanity. Even while we were sinners He gave His only Son to die for our sins. That is a love that we can only try to imitate.

Even when I have failed His unfailing love has NOT.


Beloved, If He has become God alone to you, you have a powerful story to tell. Start talking! (quote directly from book)

2 comments:

  1. This really spoke to me Sydney... it spoke to a particular issue in my heart. I am encouraged... we can get so bound in an area, that our perception of God's love gets distorted to our understanding.

    His love boggles my mind... it is so amazing, so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In spite of me, He still loves me.
    He knows my faults and He still loves me.

    Thank you Jesus.

    ReplyDelete

I feel blessed that you took time to stop by and read all that the Lord has put in my heart to share.

May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you :)