Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Breaking Free: To Live Happily Ever After

Most little girls dream of getting married, having children and living in the house with a white picket fence.
When I was younger I had similar dreams. I had dreams of becoming an astronaut and getting married in a huge wedding gown and having the perfectly decorated house and the perfect marriage.

However, as I got older and noticed that most of the people that I was surrounded by lived a life that was anything but I loosened my grasp of my dreams of bliss. The God that we have placed our faith in is a God who restores and can make something out of nothing. A breath from Him can give life to what we thought was dead.

In this chapter we are visiting our childhood dreams. If we submit our will to the authority and sovereignty of Christ..He will surpass our dreams. Beth Moore wrote, " He is obligated to keep us dissatisfied until we come to Him and His plan for complete satisfaction." I have seen these very words manifest themselves personally in my life when I have tried to substitute God's will with other distractions and give them the validity that they did not deserve.

This week's questions:

1. Why do some people refuse to give up on their dreams while others do?

Realizing their is hope in Christ is a motivator to put our heart's desire before the Lord, and sincerely hoping for HIS will to be done and not ours. Lack of faith that our GOD is the God of the impossible can deter us from the dreams that HE has placed in our hearts.

2. How has God brought happiness from pain in your life?

This week especially has me reflecting on my family. The family unity that I didn't experience as a child the Lord has exceeded my expectations..with a loving husband and children who are being trained up in the ways of the Lord and with having my mom and my sister and her family so close by and giving me a whole new family to enjoy..my brothers and sisters in Christ . The time that I wasn't able to spend with my mother because she was such a hard worker....my daughter's and I get to enjoy that precious time with her now. Pain experienced in my past, God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done in my life (Gen 50:19).

3. Why do you suppose we discount the importance of happiness in spiritual circles?

It could be that we are so focused on being "super spirituals" and not fleshy that we consider happiness just a carnal emotion instead of seeing it as "God's momentary gift". We should not rely on those "gifts" to be the source of our happiness but be thankful and grateful when the Lord sends one of those moments our way.

Please feel free to comment on any or all of the three questions listed that Holy Spirit may be ministering you on.
God bless you...beloved of the LORD!



My lover spoke and said to me,
"Arise, my darling,
my beautiful one, and come with me,

See! The winter is past;
the rains are over and gone.

Songs of Solomon 2:10-11

2 comments:

  1. Sydney, I gave my life to Christ when I was 29 years old. My life had been an utter mess, and really, had been since I was a teen. I spent so many of my young years in the Lord, overcoming regrets. I was so full of regrets and it ate at me mercilessly.

    I still have regrets, but don't dwell on them as much, and many of them have been healed and forgotten. All praise be to the Lord!

    I enjoyed this post because it asks some important questions.

    With regards to No.3, I think as Christians, happiness is important but it is not to be confused with joy. Joy is not dependent on our circumstances, but happiness more often is. Joy is the gift of the Holy Spirit (it is a fruit), that sustains us and carries us through, even the hard times. That is what baffles the unsaved, I am sure! Happiness should be an overflow of the joy we feel, not a replacement for it, if that makes sense.

    That Beth Moore quote is spot on! I love it!! That is so true...

    For Q1, I think some people get so disappointed in life, even in God, that they are scared to dream, because they can't stand the thought of any more disappointments. I have been one such person. I had certain dreams, in the Lord, that never came to pass... and for a long time, I was discouraged and disappointed. Of course, I still loved Him, but I stopped dreaming. I still don't dream, but rather, I take each day as it comes. Maybe I should dream again, but to be honest, I am content with the day by day. Dreaming is good and proper though, so long as we are prepared to let dreams go without bitterness, if God sees fit not to fulfill them.

    I have learnt this in my walk... hold all things loosely, so that Daddy God can freely move. That means ministry desires, hopes, dreams and aims. Sometimes we dream of things, such as maybe having a home to call our own, but He, in His infinite wisdom, has other ideas. This was one of my disappointments. I thought He would give us a home of our own (we rent), and when that didn't happen, I was confused. As time went by, I come to understand that having our own home, would have kept us anchored to a town He wanted to move us on from. Now, we live in a different town, a long way from the first place. This is just a minor example, as I had other more serious disappointments to deal with... but I have come to learn to trust Him alot more through it all. Trust. It is the key ingredient.

    I know I have written a long comment lol. Told you it was a good post! lol. But I want to leave your readers with this saying I heard once. It spoke volumes to me, even all these years later:

    "God may not always give you what you want... but He will never give you 2nd best"

    Isn't that the truth??! What we want/dream for, He often has other plans, but it will always be what is best for us!

    Blessings to you, dear sister in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda...

    I do appreciate your comment! Amen He will not give us second best. He will give us exactly what we need!

    I have come to grasps that as a child of GOD I have to want that HIS and HIS only perfect will be done in my life. it may hurt a bit but HIS love will always carry me through it:)

    Thanks again for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

I feel blessed that you took time to stop by and read all that the Lord has put in my heart to share.

May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you :)