Sunday, April 18, 2010

Breaking Free: That Ancient Serpant

What have you seen in yourself that you disliked in a parent or grandparent?

As I meditated on the question I thought about past behaviors instead of what I am currently deciding to do! If there is something from your past that needs to be confessed...by all means...seek ministration. What I mean is that we should take a close look at our behavior TODAY! The here and now. Definitely, the Lord doesn't want to condemn us but rather He wants to bring correction to our lives. Do you want to be healed? I know I do!

God is so loving that He deals with me during the week I am reading the currant chapter. Even up to today actually. Which I know it was only the Lord to allow me to see that there is really a situation going on that I had to confess and correct.

I have noticed that within my family, harshness in speech manifests.
How does this reflect in me? Well, I can sometimes say things that don't exactly edify or bless. Cursing is not only the use of obscene language, it is whatever speech that instead of building up tears down. If I am not blessing with my words than the opposite is cursing. Right?

It has manifested when I corrected my oldest daughter in a way that was to harsh and I immediately hear from the Lord, "I don't correct you like that!"

If there is a driver in front of me and I think they are going to slow comments like, "Jersey driver" (Please forgive me if anyone reading this IS a Jersey driver) I know...I know...terrible. Last night, as I was waiting for a car to pass by so I can park my car, the car in front of me delayed in moving (I guess to make sure I was going to take the parking) when all of a sudden my daughter uttered, "Jersey driver". As soon as I heard her say that I cringed and felt to guilty because I know she said it because she heard me say that. I corrected her but first I apologized to her for not speaking in a Christ-like manner and explaining to her that that kind of speech does not please the Lord.

And to top it all off...I had an "incident" while shopping today. I will just say that I didn't give the best example of Jesus Christ. Uuuuggghhhh! In HIS infinite mercy the Lord was just reminding me that He is dealing with me in this area and that I NEED to have ears to hear what HE is telling me!

I definitely want to continue asking the Holy Spirit to develop in me HIS language. I want to imitate the way Jesus spoke. I want to exercise self-control and be disciplined in my speech. After all, the tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit. (Prov 18:21)

Not many of you should presume to be teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly. We all stumble in many ways. If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check.

When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts.

Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.

With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bar figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

James 3:1-12

4 comments:

  1. His correction and discipline are clear signs that we are His. Praise the Lord that He gets into every area of our lives and wants us to look like His Son in everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In total agreement with Karen, thanks for posting Sis, this will def. let me evaluate cursing in a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this post really convicted me! My son is almost 4 years old, and I know that I have already noticed that he says exactly what I say. I recently corrected him for saying something the other day, when I realized later that I said the same thing. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy,

    Thanks for stopping by!

    How merciful is our God that He corrects us instead of condemning us. In HIM there is hope.

    May the Lord continue to bless you and your family in His abundance of spiritual blessings in Christ Jesus

    Help us LORD!

    ReplyDelete

I feel blessed that you took time to stop by and read all that the Lord has put in my heart to share.

May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you :)