Thursday, March 18, 2010

Operation Christmas Child

I know it's early to be thinking about the holiday season, especially since it seems like only yesterday we were remembering the birth of our Lord Jesus. However, I wanted to share the following:

I received a newsletter from Samaritan's Purse. The newsletter contained information on the destinations of many gift shoe boxes that were donated.

I had received an email from them a while back stating that my shoe box went to a child in the Philippines.



The newsletter contained numerous testimonies of different children living in impoverished countries receiving these shoe boxes filled with goodies. A testimony that impacted me was of a young teenage boy from India. After his local church distributed the shoe boxes he accepted an invitation to attend a follow-up discipleship program Samaritan's Purse sponsors. Not long after this the young man received Jesus and his Lord and Savior. He then persuaded his father to invite the Pastor to their home. The Pastor shared the good news of Jesus with this young man's family. The Pastor continued to visit the family and share the saving Gospel of Jesus Christ on a weekly basis. His father's heart was softened and decided to take his family to church. Soon both his mother and father received Jesus and their Lord and Savior. Afterward, they placed their idols in a bag and dismantled the temple they had behind their home. They took the bag to their Pastor and said, " We don't need these anymore. We have Jesus."

And it all started with a gift of a shoe box packed with love and much prayer.




The look of joy on the smiles of these precious little ones truly touches my heart.



So far, I have been able to gather these goodies for the shoe boxes my family and I will prepare this year. I start early to be able to catch some really good sales through out the year.



Want some ideas on what to pack in a shoe box? You can check HERE for some helpful ideas. But do not limit yourself to what you see there on the list. My sister Karen (you can see her post HERE on her shoe boxes) gave me the great idea of packing socks. I also include deodorants, toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap. With all the great deals I get at CVS and Rite Aid, I have a surplus of hygiene products to include.

If you didn't donate a shoe box last year, won't you prayerfully consider to do so this year?

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

3 comments:

  1. I was thinking along the same lines...it's never too early to start collecting for the boxes. It's really a year long project in the sense that you want to pack cute and considerate items for the children and pray for them. You just don't want to stuff a box and ship it off. We have our own box full of goodies too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing what an act of Love can do. This testimony is uplifting. Many a time we tend to look at big plans or ideas: Such as preach to multitudes, feed a country, pray for the sick in hospitals and usually if this does not happen we end up doing nothing. However, this teaches us that one act of love, one box, preach to one soul, pray for a sick person, all in the name of Jesus' can change and transform one life, one family, one neighborhood, one state, one country, etc... God is good! Collecting items throughout the year reveals much of the heart: It gives fruit that is not just a Christian act that we can check off as fulfilled rather it reflects that it is a constant thought in the heart, which with much thought and prayer there are no limits on what God can do through this. May the Lord continue blessing all those who give and pray for the children and family in these nations and that the samaritan purse ministry may continue to prosper for God's Glory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sydney, for your work for Operation Christmas Child. I'm a year-round volunteer Area Coordinator for OCC in northwestern PA and last year I was able to travel to the Dominican Republic to help distribute shoeboxes to the kids there. Those gift-filled boxes that seem so simple bring so much joy. We call them 'gospel opportunities' because they give children a chance to know Jesus' love. If you want, you can check out the blog that I write about my shoebox packing with OCC at www.occnwpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I feel blessed that you took time to stop by and read all that the Lord has put in my heart to share.

May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you :)