Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Breaking Free: The Obstacle of Pride

As I read this week's chapter and read the questions on page 279 the Holy Spirit led me to answer this question:

"What forms have idols taken in my personal experience?"

Anything that goes before the place of God in my life is idolatry. As a Christian have I put anything in the place of God?

When I put my own reasoning, what I consider logical before what the Word of God says, I am idolizing myself. I am thinking that what I have come up with somehow has the ability to surpass the Word of God. How can I possibly think that my own plans would prove fruitful over what God has already spoken before the foundation of the earth?

I refuse to live that way any longer. Sinning is tiring and I am tired of living it out my way.

As I meditated on the previous chapters fear and pride are forms of idolatry as well. These emotions can take the place of the Lord's Word and instead of delighting ourselves in what God has to say we can concern ourselves with anything but God's promises. We can build an alter of fear and render it homage by walking according to that fear.

God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill?
(Numbers 23:19)

I did read John 4: 1-15 and below is my answer to the question:

"In what ways can you see yourself in this woman?"

"but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life. "The woman said to him, "Sir, give me this water so that I won't get thirsty and have to keep coming here to draw water." (John 4: 14-15)

Isn't this how many of us came to know Christ?

She was in the middle of what I assume was her daily task of going to the well and filling her jug with water to complete her duties to cook, clean and wash clothes. However, this day was different. This day there was a man at the well whom she recognized as a Jew. Noting the distinct dislike of the Jews and Samaritans she immediately questions his water request.

I know when Jesus found me I was going about my business much like the Samaritan women was that fateful day. He found me since I certainly was not looking for Him. My conversation with the Lord went something similar to her conversation with Jesus. The Lord in His infinite mercy humored me with my questions on spiritual matters that I being carnal could not perceive at the time. Much like the Samaritan women who was confronted with her sin and ignorance by Jesus so was I. He confronted me and my life of sin and presented me with His plan for salvation. My sinful life would prove to not be a barrier for what His precious blood provided.

Through His love and eternal mercy He showed me a better way. His way...for He is the TRUTH!

Whom better than to quench our thirst for Living Water?
Who else can satisfy our hunger but the Bread of Life?

Only J...E...S...U...S !!!!

3 comments:

  1. You are so right...Only Jesus can quench our thirst! Out of my own pride, I have found myself continually looking to other things to fill me up - only to be brought back to the only One who can fill me up...Jesus. Thank you, Jesus, for being so faithful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amy for stopping by!
    May the Lord Jesus Christ continue to bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it that God is so good that He meets us and doesn't wait for us to go to Him..isn't that awesome! God Almighty comes to us! He's so patient and tender to answer our questions isn't He? I was thinking a similar thing regarding pride. We can think just because we're not bowing down to a physical idol, we're not committing idolatry. And yet, every time we want our own way, we are worshipping ourselves rather than God. We're our worst enemy...God deliver us!

    ReplyDelete

I feel blessed that you took time to stop by and read all that the Lord has put in my heart to share.

May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you :)