Monday, March 8, 2010

Breaking Free: Chapter 9

Read Genesis 3:1-13.
What are some things that jump out at you regarding pride here?

Adam and Eve received specific instruction from the Lord regarding the garden of Eden. How good is our loving Father that He loves us so much that He gives us specific instructions as to how we are to lead our lives. He left us His written Word to guide us in all that we must do and how we are to live the life that He has graciously allowed us. He has blessed us with the ever-present Holy Spirit which dwells in us that brings conviction to our lives.

Having received the specific instruction from the Lord why did they choose to disobey God? PRIDE! The devil tempted Eve by telling her that, "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." After the devil said this Eve noticed the fruit and she noticed that it, "was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it." She noticed all the benefits she would reap upon eating the fruit. Sounds kinda selfish, too right?

After both her and Adam realized that they disobeyed the Lord they noticed they were naked. They no longer felt the freedom to remain as they once were they felt shame (Gen 2:25). The Word exhorts us to remain blameless in the eyes of the Lord. We must understand that our lives are a written letter everyone can read it and recognize our good work (2 Cor 3:2).

It is so unfortunate that when we choose to disobey the Lord's word out of selfish ambition the last thing that many are thinking is that there are consequences to our decision to stray from the Lord's Word. On the road to sin few are contemplating the consequences, contemplating on the lives that may be affected by actions of disobedience. Instead some have a what's in it for me attitude totally disregarding that the Lord requires obedience to HIS Word.

How are you struggling with pride right now, today, at this moment?

One evening I asked my husband to please fold and put away our daughter's clothes. As I walk into our bedroom I see a pile of her clothes on our bed another pile on top of her dresser and the rest tucked in the dresser (not in the appropriate piles either). I noticed that my husband started on another task. I asked him why didn't he finish putting her clothes away first then go on to the next task. He looked at me and in his calm manner said to me, "Oh, I will put it away in a minute". He proceeded with another duty that was to be done in the house. As he went on his merry way, I couldn't leave it alone. Again, I asked him, "Honey, don't you think it's a better idea to get one thing done then move on to the next?". He answered, "Yes.".

I was bothered by the way he chose to get his list of things done and did not take my "advice" on how to get things done more "efficiently". Did it even matter as long as at the end of the night it was all done? It shouldn't have but it did to me. I thought my way of doing things was better than his idea of getting the job done. What would Jesus have done in that moment? He would've meditated on the Word and declared:

This is an area that I ask the Lord to minister me and deliver me from thinking that I have all the answers and that my way of doing things is the better way!

Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him. It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. Therefore, as it is written: "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord."

~ 1 Corinthians 1:26-31

3 comments:

  1. God is so good. It's so important to weigh the consequences of our actions. Being prideful is selfish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm just popping in to follow your blog! I hope you can come follow mine! Have a super week!

    Bridgette Groschen
    The Groschen Goblins
    http://www.groschengoblins.com/

    ReplyDelete

I feel blessed that you took time to stop by and read all that the Lord has put in my heart to share.

May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you :)