Monday, January 25, 2010

Chapter 3: To Know God and Believe Him

I am starting the study late but I thank the Lord that I made it! Knowing there is a purpose in everything He allows in my life.

I just received my book this past Friday and I was excited to get started. I read the first three chapters and I instantly could relate with the thought the author expressed about the importance of the believer in Christ breaking free from anything that impedes a total freedom in Jesus Christ. We are children of God and should not waste any more time settling for a less than victorious and fruitful life in HIM!

H.W. Question #3: What gives you the most problem when it comes to believing God?

I was posed this question on Friday and then read it in the book. I asked the Lord what served as an obstacle in my walk with Him. However, I didn't receive an immediate answer. This morning after prayer and enjoying the quietness in my home (my girls were still sleeping) the word "TRUST" silently was whispered in my spirit and I knew that was the Lord answering me. HE is so merciful.

You see, when I was without Jesus I felt I couldn't trust anyone. The people that I loved, the ones who were closest to me failed me. They either just up and left or they would lie and cheat me. I was truly hurt and in the need of so much love. I see now that is part of what attributed to my dependency on drugs and alcohol. I built a defense around me that I swore I wouldn't let anyone in (I have since renounced that). I didn't want to be deceived again. I didn't want to be put in a position where I would trust someone then to only be let down again. I took on the attitude that I wouldn't care or trust anyone again. I wouldn't trust the people that came and wouldn't care when they left . I wouldn't trust the men in my life that I allowed to mistreat and abuse me. I didn't trust the people I called "friends" either. They were merely people I would just pass the time with. I truly thought there was no one out there whom I could count on....someone who I could truly trust. I had a "survival of the fittest" attitude.

When I came to Christ it was a battle in my mind still to think that this wonderful and all powerful God actually loves me and asks me to trust HIM. Why would He want that from me a lowly sinner like me. Why did He care? When I came upon HIS Word that says HE loved me first...HE loved me before and after all of my sins. It was hard for me to accept it.He would very often tell me, "For it is the Lord your God who goes with you; HE WILL NOT LEAVE YOU OR FORSAKE YOU." Joshua 31:6b.

It was a battle to trust HIM for my marriage, for my children, for an abundant life in HIM. As I was growing in the Word (which I still am) I learned to trust HIM for my salvation, for my liberation, even for my marriage and my children and I trusted HIM for me. I trusted in HIS unconditional love for me. HE has yet to let me down and I am certain that HE will not. He loves me in spite of me...not for who I am or was but that is just who HE is... HE IS LOVE!

In Malachi 3:10 He told me to test Him with my tithe and offering and to see if He will not open the flood gates of heaven and pour out a blessing for me without measure. I gave my tithe and offering before I even knew what it was in obedience and trusting in HIS word and He has certainly blessed my family and I without measure. There are numerous examples in the Word of how the people who put their trust in the Lord were victors.

The Lord says, "That a man shall leave his father and his mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." Ephesians 5:31. I allowed these verses to penetrate my spirit and truly see my husband for what the Lord has made him into and the potential that the Lord sees in him. I trust the Holy Spirit in my husband and the Lord who has blessed me with him.

Question #4: What practical steps could you take to increase your trust in God?

The steps I am taking in continuing to trust the Lord is knowing that God is faithful to HIS Word. I am trusting in what HE has said in HIS Word concerning me and especially concerning who HE is. I want to continue to grow in the knowledge of who HE is. Certainly not for what HE can give me...salvation is enough, but to grow in the knowledge of HIS love.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity." Jeremiah 29:11-14a

3 comments:

  1. Amen Sister,
    A complete trust in God is all we need to do.
    To put our lives (marriage, family, everything) in his hands knowing that his plan is perfect.
    I can see Gods power, love and mercy through what He has done in you and in the brother.
    He will continue to use you and him for his Glory.
    Thank you Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trust is key in any relationship but especially in the Lord. The more we seek to trust Him, there more surrendering it requires from us. Lord help me! What I love about the Lord, is that there is always more. If you trust, amen, but you could always trust more. If you believe, amen. But you could always believe more. More and more growing until Jesus comes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sister I can relate to this on so many different levels. I thank the Lord for the Holy Spirit because without Him we cannot do anything. Meditation on His Word daily helps us to grow and trust more in the Lord.

    ReplyDelete

I feel blessed that you took time to stop by and read all that the Lord has put in my heart to share.

May the Lord Jesus Christ bless you :)